Updated the requirements with a link to OS X VMWare image as well as the Xcode instructions to reflect the new Xcode.
Additionally, I will be looking into trying to get nzbUnity approved on the AppStore but more to come on that later 🙂
Have an iDevice that you cannot jailbreak?
With the announcement of Xcode 7 by Apple, they are now allowing anyone to be able to have a free developer account (no more paying Apple $100/yr). The only downside to the free account is that you can only add the program to devices that you physically have.
Follow the instructions below to re-sign my unsigned IPA and successfully install it on your iDevice.
- Apple ID Account — https://appleid.apple.com/
- Apple Computer (Running OS X via a virtual will also work)
- macOS High Sierra on VMWare (I recommend the VMWare one since I was able to successfully passthrough the iPhone from my machine to the virtual. VirtualBox was not passing through my iPhone 7 Plus but should work for iPhone 6s and lower. Also note– I created a NEW AppleID to login to the virtual since I did not create it, I get paranoid and don’t know if it has any kind of malware and I was not going to risk my real account)
- Xcode 7 (or greater)
- iReSign (El Capitan or earlier) — https://github.com/maciekish/iReSign
- iOS APP Signer (macOS Sierra or newer) — http://dantheman827.github.io/ios-app-signer/
- nzbUnity unsigned IPA — download link below
- Any Xcode project — You will modify the bundle identifier so make a backup if it’s a real project (Sample: https://github.com/jasarien/Provenance/archive/master.zip)
Attention: Version numbering will change starting with this beta. Versioning will now be #VERSION# (#BUILD#) instead of #VERSION# BETA #BETA NUMBER#. Since I was not keeping track of the build number, this will be build 1 but future beta will have a different build number – ex: 1.8 (87) could be beta 2 etc.
nzbUnity v1.8 (45) *beta*
- (ADD) nzbUnity: User Interface has been updated to fit properly on the iPhone X
- (ADD) Radarr: Open in Safari button on the movie info page for more information about the movie (imdb or tmdb)
- (ADD) Search: Added Radarr to the auto import list
- (FIXED) CouchPotato: Manual search was not showing the download icon
- (FIXED) Search: Auto import was not importing newznab servers from Sonarr
- (FIXED) SyncSettings: In some cases, restoring from SyncSettings with Client Certificate enabled, would cause nzbUnity to crash.
- (FIXED) Auto Nightmode: Auto Night mode would cause the app to crash.
- (CHANGE) LazyLibrarian: Re-did the integration from HTML parsing to API
- (CHANGE) Downloaders: Easier identification of NZB or Torrent client in the Add/Edit page
nzbUnity v1.8 (1) *beta*
- (ADD) Downloaders: All download applet have been combined into 1 new downloader applet. From one window, you can manage all your downloading app (sab, nzbget, nzbvortex, torrents [coming soon!]).
- (ADD) Transmission: Now manage your transmission queue from the new ‘Downloaders’ applet.
- (ADD) NZBGet: Re-Download and Post-Process again for nzbs on the history.
- (ADD) Sick Beard: ‘Custom’ quality profile for adding and editing a show.
- (ADD) SickRage: ‘Custom’ quality profile for adding and editing a show.
- (ADD) Radarr: Ability to type and filter the list of movies in your list.
- (FIXED) All: Special Characters are now allowed for the password when attempting to retrieve the APIKEY automatically.
- (FIXED) SABnzbd: Added support for SABnzbd v2.x
- (FIXED) Sonarr: When adding a show, starting season and search on add options were being ignored.
- (FIXED) CouchPotato: Random crashes when attempting to re-add a movie to the wanted via the ‘Re-Add’ button.
- (FIXED) CouchPotato: UI would incorrectly move up when hiding either the quality or profile when adding a movie.
- (CHANGE) All (Except RSS/Search): New TabBar (bottom bar) look for all the apps. Main color is the apps main color (Experimenting — colors might change as well as menu options).
- (CHANGE) iPad: iPad is now in landscape mode.
nzbUnity v1.7 (Stable)
- (ADD) All: (PRO only) 3D Touch capabilities (Launch your enabled apps from outside the app).
- (ADD) Radarr: Radarr support has been added
- (ADD) NZBGet: ‘Server Status’ to a NZB detail from the Queue (similar to what’s on the History NZB Detail).
- (ADD) NZBVortex: Ability to add multiple NZBVortex download clients (Similar to NZBGet and SABNzbd+).
- (ADD) Sonarr: Activity Page. You can now see what Sonarr is downloading and what the status is.
- (ADD) Sonarr: Search for all wanted/missing episodes from the ‘Wanted’ section.
- (ADD) Sonarr: View the previous 14 days in the Calendar section.
- (ADD) Sick Beard: Manual Post-Processing.
- (ADD) SickRage: Manual Post-Processing.
- (ADD) SickRage: Episode status while on the show (missing / downloaded / total)
- (ADD) SickRage: Added support for UHD, UHD-4K, and UHD-8K quality profiles.
- (ADD) CouchPotato: Add movies using the alternative title.
- (ADD) Headphones: Manual Post-Processing.
- (CHANGE) All: Removed the ‘Home’ button from the bottom tab bar since it is not needed.
- (CHANGE) Sonarr: Upcoming has been renamed to ‘Calendar’.
- (CHANGE) Sonarr: Upcoming will now also list shows that are upcoming but not monitored.
- (FIXED) All: Barcode scanner would cause app to crash on iOS 10 (new security measure).
- (FIXED) All: 3 per row view would show the ‘no banner’ image instead of the actual image due to a new feature introduced in iOS 10.
- (FIXED) All: Share would cause the app to crash on iOS 8.
- (FIXED) Main Menu: If ALL the apps were enabled, nzbUnity would show a blank a screen instead of the panels.
- (FIXED) NZBGet: History items that were over 2GB would incorrectly show it as 1GB which also affected the calculated download speed.
- (FIXED) Sonarr: Adding a show with the ‘Future’ seasons marked would start downloading all the episodes.
- (FIXED) Couchpotato: In some cases, nzbUnity would remove the 0’s after the imdb tt when sending the nzb to the downloader causing CouchPotato to not post process [ex: .cp(tt0384806) would get transformed to .cp(tt384806)].
- (FIXED) Search: OMGWTFNZBs URL has been updated to use the .me instead of .org
- (FIXED) Search: Importing indexers from enabled apps that did not have APIKEYs (ex: Sick Beard) would cause the app to crash.
- (FIXED) LazyLibrarian: Random Crash when trying to view Books or Wanted.
Xcode is an integrated development environment (IDE) containing a suite of software development tools developed by Apple for developing software for OS X and iOS. Although it may seem like a complicated program, it is actually quiet simple and we only need it to generate our mobile provisioning profile. You only need to do the Xcode section once — the goal is to use a non-expired profile with the name com..nzbUnity for your current iDevice. If the profile has expired, you don’t have a profile, or you want to use another device, then you will need to do this section
Launch Xcode and Open the sample project
Click on Xcode menu and then on Preferences
Click on Accounts tab
Click on the + on the bottom left and enter your Apple ID (this will create your free developer account — noted by the PERSONAL TEAM label)
On the left side, click on the project name; if using the sample project – Provenance
Click on General tab
Update the following:
- Change the Bundle Identifier to com.<any unique name you want>.nzbUnity (ex: com.asdjflajf.nzbUnity)
- Change the device from one of the simulators to your device (your device should be plugged in); in this screenshot, the simulator was for an iPhone 8 Plus
- Make sure the Automatically manage signing is checked
- Change the Team to match the team (Apple ID) you want to use
Re-Sign via IRESIGN (El Capitan and earlier)
iReSign allows iDevice app bundles (.ipa) files to be signed or resigned with a digital certificate from Apple for distribution.
Select the ipa that was downloaded from above
Select the .mobileprovision generated from Xcode
Leave the entitlement section blank
Select Change ID and enter the com..nzbUnity that matches what was entered for the profile on Xcode
Select the signing certificate that matches that to your Apple developer’s account
Click on ReSign!
If everything is ok, it will take about 30-45 seconds to create the new ipa. The ipa will be stored in the same location to where the unsigned ipa is and it will be say [name](resigned).ipa
Re-Sign via IOS APP SIGNER (macOS Sierra)
iOS APP Signer is an app for OS X that can (re)sign apps and bundle them into ipa files that are ready to be installed on an iOS device. It is very similar to iReSign
Open iOS App Signer
For the ‘Input File‘, select the unsigned ipa
‘Signing Certificate’ – select your certificate
‘Provisioning Profile’ will be the profile name from Xcode
Click on Start and the app will ask you where you would like to save the signed IPA to.
Please see below for a quick video tutorial.
iTunes is a media management software created by Apple, Inc., for both the Macintosh and Windows operating systems. We are going to use it to add the ipa to the iDevice.
Note: When adding the newly signed ipa to your iDevice, please use the same computer you’ve used in the past to sync. If you do not, you run the risk of erasing contents from your iDevice.
Double click on the newly generated ipa (this will add it to iTunes)
Open iTunes (if it does not open)
Click on your iDevice icon
Click Install for nzbUnity
Click on Apply/Sync
If it all goes well, you will have the nzbUnity app on your iDevice
Open Xcode and make sure your iDevice is plugged in and selected
Click on the “Windows” menu and then choose “Devices”
If it all goes well, nzbUnity will be added to your iDevice
On the left hand side, click your iDevice
On the right hand side, in the section “Installed Apps“, click on the + and select the resigned IPA
Having trouble with any of the steps? Please follow some of the troubleshooting steps. If you are still having issue, please contact me via the contact form.